If you haven’t been following along with the fire situation up here in Northern Alberta, you might have been wondering where I have gone! I wanted to pop on here and write a post just updating you on whats going on up here.
update on the fire situation in northern alberta
The town of High Level is still evacuated but, praise God, all structures are currently still standing. This is day 10 of evacuation for them. My heart just goes out to those who have been displaced for so long, especially for the families of the essential personel and first responders who are still in town. I can easily imagine how hard it must be to be seperated from your spouse in such a stressful time. I also continue to think of those first responders who have been working day in and day out for the last 10 days. They must be incredibly exhausted and worn out.
It honestly feels like a miracle that there has been zero structural damage at this point. I truly feel like God has protected the town thus far. During the 4 years we lived there, we truly felt the presence of God there. There is a large Christian community in town and people there certainly know how to love their neighbours. I’ve seen time and time again the community rally around people in their darkest times. I’ve been blown away by the love pouring out and people being the hands and feet of Jesus. I continue to pray for God to spare the town and return everyone home soon. I know everyone would appreciate your prayers as well.
incase it wasn’t stressful enough…
We have had a wildfire 10km north of our town for a few weeks as well. Toward the end of last week we were concerned winds would push it to town and we were preparing to be put on evacuation alert. That did not happen and Monday evening they were feeling good about the situation. Overnight Monday things changed and a large area (not including our house) was put on evacuation alert yesterday evening. At this time we are still at home but I am prepared. Knowing I would be evacuating with my 2 kids and 3 pets without my spouse is a stressful thought and knowing I am prepared and planned helps to ease that stress. Most of the structural protection supplies are up in High Level so we are really hoping the fire here will continue to burn north and not south.
fire is a nasty beast
We have had temperatures well over 30 degrees the last few days and we have not had rain since sometimes in April. People are often surprised to hear that we often have desert like conditions up here in the north, some summers getting little to no precipitation. Because of this, it’s so unpredictable what will happen. Fire is an unpredictable beast and can change so quickly with a turn in the wind.
we know god is in control. he is still on his throne. he is still good.
Regardless of what happens with these northern towns and the fires, we know these things to be true and believe them with all our hearts. We continue to petition God for protection and for rain and ask you to do the same.
I can’t guarantee that I will post with any regularity over the next days / weeks as we wait for this situation to be resolved. We are really just in constant limbo, wondering when or if we will be leaving home. Most of our important things stay packed up. But I am still updating on social media so make sure to follow me there if you are currently not. Also, if you want to keep up with updates, subscribe to my newsletter!